Cranberry Sauce with Ruby Port and Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of ruby Port
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 3 allspice berries
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 2-inch-by-1/2-inch strip of orange peel
- 1 (12 ounce) package cranberries, washed
- pinch of salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine the Port and sugar and pinch of salt. Tie the cloves, cinnamon stick, allspice and black peppercorns in a small piece of cheesecloth (or, if you don’t have cheesecloth you can tie them in a coffee filter with twine – it worked in a pinch for me one year). Add the spice bundle to the saucepan along with the orange peel. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently until the wine is reduced to 1 cup, about 4 minutes.
- Add the cranberries to the wine. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat then lower the heat and simmer until the cranberries pop, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl. This is where I pour it into the decorative serving bowl I’ll be using on Thanksgiving. Let cool to warm, then remove the spice bundle and orange peel. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Do Ahead: Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.